READ FIRST!!!

Educating not Discriminating
Dog Legislation Education (DLE) is for anyone on either side of the Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) fence. I wanted to provide a place where you can ask questions that otherwise might spark debate. This is not meant to be a place to argue the issues, but to help people understand why dogs bite, who's really responsible, and what types of legislation have proven successful in protecting the public and punishing human offenders. Anyone commenting on the blog will be removed from the group for being insensitive. My main focus will be for citizens of Springfield, Mo as the Animal Issues Task Force (AITF) has proposed new legislation, policies, programs to City Council. Because these proposals could help improve the safety of citizens anywhere, the blog is open to anyone.
The Root of Fear is Ignorance.
The one thing I have learned over the years, is that most people who have a problem with a specific breed of dog either had one bad experience or heard bad stuff on the news. Humans are allowed to be afraid...I'm afraid of spiders, hopefully no one faults me for that! What I hope to accomplish with this blog is to help Pit Bull and other Power Breed owners to understand that some people don't know any better than to be afraid. As dog owners we have to take our time and show the public that no one breed stands alone with behavioral issues. I hope to not only educate people who don't know the blessings our dogs bring, but also help educate people who may not know what is appropriate behavior for them and their dog. Though I don't believe Breed Specific Legislation is effective in educating the public, I do believe Potentially Dangerous Dog, Dangerous Dog, and Irresponsible Owner Legislation can not only educate, but improve public safety as well.
Please enjoy the blog, sign up for email updates, keep your filters on when commenting, and hopefully learn something new today.
To ask questions anonymously email at 417pitgirl@gmail.com

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Next meeting of the AITF will be on Sept 10th!!!




      The next meeting of the AITF will be on the 4th floor of the Bush Municipal Building at noon on September 10th.  As I explained in my last blog, they will do a power point presentation on their findings and answer questions from a few City Council members and other key members of a City Committee.

 PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Don't go to any of the future meetings and make a scene!

      Read my first blog if you can...I was there for the City Council meeting in 2006...I strongly believe where we messed up was with all of the stories of how we love our pit bulls and how irate some people were. (I don't blame anyone, but I have learned a few things since then). I was going to speak, but I watched the City Council members and listened for hours before I realized, it didn't matter what we had to say, panic legislation was going to happen. The majority of City Council's mind was made up. They weren't even taking what area professionals had to say seriously. One speaker in particular is one of my mentors in life and I was shocked at the way he was treated by a certain city official. 
      The way I envision the meetings going this time would be professionals stating the facts...BSL does not work. Vicious dog legislation does work. Vicious bites may have gone down... but they are on the rise again. Why? My belief is because of the big uproar in Springfield in 2006. Public awareness was raised and everyone just chose a side without knowing the facts. We all put tighter reigns on our dogs no matter what breed. Everyone was listening to the city talk about the legislation, and frankly some of us didn't act very professional. I was upset too...I may have even had a few unprofessional moments myself...LOL 
      The task force has taken the time to research all of the facts. They have decided to take a whole city approach, not just fight one issue. We need a new shelter... We need to raise awareness and educate people...We need to punish people for not being responsible pet owners...We need to encourage spay and neuter in appropriate situations...We need to build a strong bond between citizens and Animal Control... And the list goes on. 

WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER, NOT FIGHT ONE ANOTHER!

   In closing, if you are going to attend future meetings....Stay Calm...Be an expert for your cause and keep emotions out of it. Easier said than done, I know, but we have to play the game to get ahead. We have new elected officials this time around, lets show them how much we have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment